Sellers, Do you Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Your Home? It’s the Law In WA State

 

Last year I heard that a college friend of mine had died in his home from carbon monoxide poisoning. A few years back, a Realtor walked into a home to preview it and found the sellers dead in their bed, again from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Both situations were upsetting and shocking to me.  It was sad to hear of an old friend’s untimely loss.  I can only imagine the horror of the real estate agent who found those unfortunate sellers.

These situations are so sad and unnecessary.  They did not have to happen.

Here in Washington, the State is doing something about this. The State  has passed a new law which goes into affect on April 1, 2012 requiring carbon monoxide detectors in specific places in homes as a condition of sale.  Below is wording from the specific law that will affect sellers and buyers when a real estate sale is transacted.

Even if you are not selling your home, it’s a smart idea to install the same carbon monoxide detectors.  It’s a pretty inexpensive way to help eliminate an untimely death, which could be yours!

 

 

CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS 

By Northwest Multiple Listing Service

This bulletin summarizes new “point of sale” requirements related to the installation of carbon monoxide alarms:

When is a seller required to install a carbon monoxide alarm?

Effective April 1, 2012, RCW 19.27.530 requires the seller of any owner-occupied single-family residence to equip the residence with carbon monoxide alarms in accordance with the state building code before a buyer or any other person may legally occupy the residence following the sale. 1 This requirement applies to all single family residences, including single family homes, condominiums, and manufactured/mobile homes.

The building code (WAC 51-51-0315) requires that an alarm be installed: (1) outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of each bedroom; (2) on each level of the dwelling; and (3) in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. The building code also requires that single station carbon monoxide alarms comply with UL 2034. 2 There are no exceptions for properties that do not have fuel-fired appliances or an attached garage. The alarms may be battery operated and can be purchased for as little as $25 from a variety of sources.

The building code also requires that single station carbon monoxide alarms comply with UL 2034. There are no exceptions for properties that do not have fuel-fired appliances or an attached garage. The alarms may be battery operated and can be purchased for as little as $25 from a variety of sources.

Do you have more questions about carbon monoxide poisoning or what to look for in a detector?

The UL  site has more detailed information regarding carbon monoxide detectors. It also makes a lot of sense to check for these things in your home to help prevent any possible leaks:

  • How can I tell if there is a risk of CO poisoning in my home?

    Have your fuel-burning appliances inspected by a qualified technician at least once a year. A qualified technician should have practical knowledge of the operation, installation and proper ventilation of fossil-fuel-burning devices; carry the applicable insurance; be bonded; and be licensed to perform heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) work in your area.

    Be alert to these danger signs that indicate a potential CO problem:

    • Streaks of carbon or soot around the service door of your fuel-burning appliances
    • The absence of a draft in your chimney (indicating blockage)
    • Excessive rusting on flue pipes or appliance jackets
    • Moisture collecting on windows and walls of furnace rooms
    • Fallen soot from the fireplace
    • Small amounts of water leaking from the base of the chimney, vent or flue pipe
    • Damaged or discolored bricks atop the chimney
    • Rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from outside your home

    Also, recognize that CO poisoning may be the cause when family members suffer from flu-like symptoms that do not disappear but improve when they leave home for extended periods of time.

Posted on March 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm
The Beaupain Team | Category: For Buyers, For Homeowners, For Sellers, Real Estate | Tagged , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *