Last year I heard that a college friend of mine had died in his home from carbon monoxide poisoning. A few years back, a Realtor walked into a home to preview it and found the sellers dead in their bed, again from carbon monoxide poisoning. Both situations were upsetting and shocking to me. It was sad to hear of an old friend’s untimely loss. I can only imagine the horror of the real estate agent who found those unfortunate sellers.
These situations are so sad and unnecessary. They did not have to happen.
Here in Washington, the State is doing something about this. The State has passed a new law which goes into affect on April 1, 2012 requiring carbon monoxide detectors in specific places in homes as a condition of sale. Below is wording from the specific law that will affect sellers and buyers when a real estate sale is transacted.
Even if you are not selling your home, it’s a smart idea to install the same carbon monoxide detectors. It’s a pretty inexpensive way to help eliminate an untimely death, which could be yours!
Sellers, Do you Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Your Home? It’s the Law In WA State
Posted on March 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm The Beaupain Team